It is fine and good to choose a roofing material based on the expected lifespan that the manufacturer has provided, but you can’t be certain you’ll achieve that guideline if you don’t take into account the factors that can influence that lifespan. Here are five factors that can affect the lifespan of your commercial roofing that you need to know about.
- Quality of the Installation – Not every commercial roofing installation goes as planned, and it can be difficult to know you didn’t get what you paid for until a problem surfaces weeks, months, or even years later. Choose your contractor carefully based on reputation, warranty, and experience if you want to enjoy the longest lifespan possible from your commercial roofing.
- Dedication to Maintenance – Even the best roofing material installed by the most competent commercial roofing professional is going to experience wear and tear. If you take care of any small leaks as soon as possible, you stand a better chance of them not progressing toward complete roof failure. Keep up with replacing damaged shingles, trimming back trees, and other maintenance issues to prevent premature failure.
- Weather Conditions – Manufacturers provide estimated lifespans for their products based on average weather conditions. The climate where your building is located could be far from the norm, so you may not get the full lifespan regardless of any other factors in play. Your local commercial roofing professional can guide you on the products that work the best in your area and advise you about how long you can expect them to last.
- Type of Commercial Roofing – As already noted, the lifespan of different products varies. Be sure to discuss which materials will give you the life expectancy that fits with your objective.
- Proper Ventilation – While most people realize that the heat of the sun affects commercial roofing, many do not realize that heat from underneath is also detrimental. Without proper ventilation to keep your roof cool, it can break down far quicker, and you could easily lose several years of performance.
If you are looking for a commercial roofing company that will go above and beyond to ensure you get the best lifespan possible from your commercial roofing, reach out to us at Race City Roofing. We have served Charlotte, North Carolina and surrounding communities for over 20 years and offer a lifetime labor warranty, which is otherwise almost unheard of in this industry. Call today to learn more.