If you’re having your roof replaced in the near future, you might be curious what the process entails. Here’s a general outline of what happens in a typical roof installation with asphalt shingles.
- Before we begin, we will typically use large tarps to protect the home from dust and debris.
- We will strip away the previous shingles, flashing, and other roofing materials.
- We can now inspect the roof deck and assess its condition. If we find any damage, such as wet or rotted boards, we will make the needed repairs. Then, we will typically re-nail the wood decking so your roof is secured.
- Next, we will install new underlayment, generally a waterproof layer and a felt layer or roofing paper. At this time, we will also install new flashing, also know as drip edge, along the outer edges of the roof to prevent water from getting underneath the roofing material.
- Now it’s time for the actual roof installation. At this point, we will begin laying your new roofing material. The color of the shingles and the pattern in which they are placed should have been decided with you before the project began.
- Time for site cleanup! We will clean up at the end of each day and when the project is complete.
- When the roof is finished, we will give it a final inspection and check to make sure you’re satisfied with the finished result.
There you have it– a typical roof installation process! For more information or questions about the roof installation process, or any questions regarding your roof, give us a call at Race City Roofing today!